The Library is NOW OPEN!
The library is now open for book exchange. There will be a weekly exchange service each Friday. Mrs Tomlin, our librarian, will select books which can be collected from the Academy. This is a bookable service only to allow safe preparation of the books and all requests must be received by Mrs Tomlin by 4pm each Wednesday. Please see Milk for further details or email Mrs Tomlin email@example.com
Books can be collected from the Academy car park between 12.30 and 2.30pm on the Friday following the order, in addition students can return books they have finished with.
Mrs Tomlin will ensure that books will have their covers disinfected and placed into a bag so they can be safely handed over. When books are being returned we would ask for them to be put into a carrier bag for them to be into a carrier bag where they will be in quarantine for a minimum of 72 hours before being cleaned for reissue.
The library catalogue can be accessed on https://u004642.microlibrarian.net
Mrs Tomlin will endeavour to fulfill requests, or will make recommendations.
The Library is a welcoming, friendly and supportive environment within the school and holds a collection of resources to meet the needs of the school community which include:
- books – fiction and information books; graphic novels and manga
- board games
- computers and internet access
Our library management system is Eclipse.net and users are able to search the library catalogue from any computer either within the Academy or from home. Users can then place a reservation on an item and if it is in stock it will be waiting for them the next day. Eclipse.net can also direct users to relevant websites that can also support their research.
- The Library is open from 8:15am to 4:00pm Monday to Thursday.
- Students are able to borrow up to 3 items at a time for a loan period of 3 weeks.
- The Library has a collection of over 8,000 books, which is constantly growing and evolving.
- Mrs Tomlin, Librarian, is available from 2:50pm to 4:00pm each day to assist with homework if required.
- We do not charge for overdue books; however a replacement charge is made for books that are classed as very overdue or for lost or damaged items.
All students in Year 7 have a weekly library lesson as part of their English timetable. During these lessons we encourage students to read for pleasure, learn how to use a library, carry out research projects and prepare presentations. Students are given “passports to reading” to keep a log of the books they have read and are also given reading challenges.
There are various events held throughout the year to promote reading which include:
- Reading Cafe - Tuesday lunchtimes
- Book award shadowing schemes such as the Carnegie Medal
- Authors – past visitors have included Bali Rai, Donavan Christopher (Rappaman), Nick Arnold and David Harmer
- Derbyshire Literature Challenge
- World Book Day - primary school students are invited to the Academy to take part in our themed days. In the past these have included Harry Potter and Roald Dahl themes.
Students are encouraged to apply to become student Librarians – this teaches new skills and promotes responsibility.
Code of Conduct
Food and drink are NOT allowed in the Library or the attached computer facility (IT5).
Bags should be left at the entrance to the Library.
Respect for all Library users should be upheld at all times.