The Library is a welcoming, friendly and supportive environment within the school and holds a collection of resources to meet the needs of the school community which include:
- books – fiction and information books
- board games
- computers and internet access
Our library management system is Eclipse.net and users are able to search the library catalogue from any computer either within school or from home. Users can then place a reservation on an item and if it is in stock it will be waiting for them the next day. Eclipse.net can also direct users to relevant websites that can also support their research.
- The library is open from 8:15am to 4:00pm every day.
- Students are able to borrow up to 3 items at a time for a loan period of 3 weeks.
- Librarian, Mrs Tomlin, is available from 3:00pm to 4:00pm each day to assist with homework if required.
- We do not charge for overdue books; however a replacement charge is made for books that are classed as very overdue or for lost or damaged items.
All students in Year 7 have a weekly library lesson as part of their English timetable. During these lessons we encourage students to read for pleasure, learn how to use a library, carry out research projects and prepare presentations. Students are given “passports to reading” to keep a log of the books they have read and are also given reading challenges.
There are various events held throughout the year to promote reading which include:
- Reading Groups
- Book award shadowing schemes such as the Carnegie Medal
- Authors – past visitors have included Bali Rai, Donavan Christopher (Rappaman), Nick Arnold and David Harmer
- Derbyshire Literature Challenge
- World Book Day
Students are encouraged to apply to become student librarians – this teaches new skills and promotes responsibility.
Code of Conduct
Food and drink are not allowed in the library or the attached computer facility (IT5).
Bags should be left at the entrance to the library.
Respect for all library users should be upheld at all times.