Year 7 Preparations
the transition from primary school to secondary school
Transition from Year 6 to Year 7 at The Pingle Academy
The transition from primary school to secondary school is an exciting time in every student’s educational life. In order to aid this transition The Pingle Academy has developed a two day induction programme to allow new Year 7 students to become familiar with school staff, the school building and their new class mates within their form group. This will serve to ease the initial concerns of our new students and allow them to have a positive start to life at The Pingle Academy.
Year 6 Intake Days and Evening
We believe that it is important for students and parents/carers have the opportunity to see the school in action and to experience sample lessons. If parents/carers/students would like a tour on a normal school day please contact Kathryn Wagstaff, PA to the Principal, who will be happy to arrange a convenient time for you. This offer is open to parents/carers of primary students, current students or prospective Sixth Form students. If your child has special educational needs or additional needs of any description, we will link closely with previous schools in order to ensure a smooth transition and enhanced transition arrangements are in place for students with additional needs or special educational needs.
A questionnaire is available for you to complete with regard to transition and your child's potential learning needs. Some of the questions may not apply, so please don't be concerned if they do not reflect any of your concerns, your input is still valuable to us. If you would like to take part in our Year 6 parent/carer transition questionnaire, please click on the wording to take you to it:
Your replies go direct to our SENDCo, Mrs L Slavin.
Year 7 Events
Once the students have started in Year 7, our induction process continues with the following events.
- Parents’ Information Evening in September: An evening to help parents/carers and students understand how their new school works. There will be a chance to meet, and receive information from the Head of Year and relevant teachers in English, Mathematics and Science. Following this there will be an opportunity to discuss any queries you may have arising from your child’s first week in Year 7.
- Progress Report in the autumn term, spring term and summer term.
- Parents’ Evening in the autumn term.
Year 5 Taster Days
These take place in the summer term. Students will be met on the morning by Prefects, who will be accompanying them for the day. Copies of bus times, timetables and groups for each student will be sent to the primary schools before the day.
What do I need to bring to The Pingle Academy on Year 5 Taster Day?
- Arrival from 9.00am, dressed in primary school uniform
- ‘PREP’ (writing equipment) – pen, ruler, eraser and a pencil
- A packed lunch (Primary schools will provide packed lunches for students on FSM)