The Library is a welcoming, friendly and supportive environment within the school and holds a collection of resources to meet the needs of the school community which include:
- books – fiction and information books; graphic novels and manga
- board games
- computers and internet access
Our library management system is Eclipse.net and users are able to search the library catalogue from any computer either within the Academy or from home. Users can then place a reservation on an item and if it is in stock it will be waiting for them the next day. Eclipse.net can also direct users to relevant websites that can also support their research.
- The Library is open from 8:15am to 4:00pm Monday to Thursday.
- Students are able to borrow up to 3 items at a time for a loan period of 3 weeks.
- The Library has a collection of over 8,000 books, which is constantly growing and evolving.
- Mrs Tomlin, Librarian, is available from 2:50pm to 4:00pm each day to assist with homework if required.
- We do not charge for overdue books; however a replacement charge is made for books that are classed as very overdue or for lost or damaged items.
All students in Year 7 have a weekly library lesson as part of their English timetable. During these lessons we encourage students to read for pleasure, learn how to use a library, carry out research projects and prepare presentations. Students are given “passports to reading” to keep a log of the books they have read and are also given reading challenges.
There are various events held throughout the year to promote reading which include:
- Reading Cafe - Tuesday lunchtimes
- Book award shadowing schemes such as the Carnegie Medal
- Authors – past visitors have included Bali Rai, Donavan Christopher (Rappaman), Nick Arnold and David Harmer
- Derbyshire Literature Challenge
- World Book Day - primary school students are invited to the Academy to take part in our themed days. In the past these have included Harry Potter and Roald Dahl themes.
Students are encouraged to apply to become student Librarians – this teaches new skills and promotes responsibility.
Code of Conduct
Food and drink are NOT allowed in the Library or the attached computer facility (IT5).
Bags should be left at the entrance to the Library.
Respect for all Library users should be upheld at all times.